Tuesday 1 December 2015

Virtual Cookie Exchange

Just Let Me Quilt Virtual Cookie Exchange is now available for snacking at a blog near you from December 1-4!!

































December 1
December 2
December 3
December 4
I'm excited to share my recipe with everyone! Make sure to check out yesterday's blogs and see the yummy recipes from 4 wonderful bloggers...not to mention the next 3 days...you're in for a real treat!!

Spoiler alert! Before I share the process, I'm going to sneak in a picture of the finished product...
As my husband and I race toward sixty, we're starting to realize the necessity of tweaking our meals to exclude things like white sugar. Here's a link to a magazine I've discovered has some fantastic recipes that are healthy and super-scrumptious. Clean Eating Magazine, released quarterly, never disappoints with flavour.
On a side note...my husband, Michael, prefers to say "We're journeying at a snail's pace toward sixty.", but that's another story.
In the December issue, I stumbled on this recipe that satisfies the sweet tooth and is delicious, and festive, enough to share during the holiday season.
First, crystallize ginger...
Peel and slice a 3-inch piece of fresh ginger into 1/4" thick pieces. (I cut them into thumb-nail size pieces afterward.) Place 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane juice with 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring until dissolved. Add ginger pieces and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, until most of the syrup has been absorbed and ginger is very tender, about 25-30 minutes. Using tongs, transfer ginger pieces 
to paper towel and let cool completely.


Here's the recipe...courtesy of my favourite foody magazine
 I only needed half of the almonds and cherries to complete the recipe. The chocolate chips measured 2 cups or about 1 1/2 packages. These chocolate chips are made with cane sugar, found in the organic section of the grocery store.

Preparing the almonds for toasting was easy. I zipped them up in a freezer bag and, in no time at all, hit each one, ever so gently, with a hammer. I laid them out on a cookie sheet and roasted them in a 350 oven, turning them every 3-5 minutes for about 15 minutes.
 A 9x11 inch cake pan worked well to spread the melted chocolate. It provided the appropriate thickness and spread to within an inch of the edge of the pan.
As you can see, my chocolate spreading spoon accidentally "fell" into the almond pieces...guess what I did with that!! Mmmm-mmm good!
Lastly...the recipe didn't suggest this, but...pairing this delectable treat with a tasty glass of wine was the "piece-de-resistance". 
Oh, and I mustn't forget...I couldn't resist adding some colour and sweetness with crushed candy cane pieces. I was lucky enough to find some that are made with natural cane sugar instead of processed sugar. 
This recipe was easy and fun to make.
Thank you Carol at Just Let Me Quilt for creating this blog hop. It's been so much fun and I can't wait to see the recipes over the next few days!!














40 comments:

  1. Having my chocolate with nuts and less sugar sounds irresistible! They look amazing and sound so delicious. Since I'm no longer on that snail's pace to 60, this recipe will be a perfect treat. Though I have to admit, Christmas time means sneaking in a few yummy treats that are loaded with sugar and butter. I'll start that diet again next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Carol...been doing some sneaking myself, wink wink fudge fudge...I mean, nudge nudge :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! These will be added to my cookie gift platters. The neighbors will love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen...I'm so looking forward to the next couple of days and increasing my goodie options!

      Delete
  3. Such a brilliant idea...LOL. Chocolate and red wine. Almost forgot to read the cookie recipe. But sure glad I did. Sounds like there will be some seasonal deliciousness at your house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red wine brings out the brilliance in me, perhaps? I'll go with that!

      Delete
  4. Those look SO good! Red wine goes well with chocolate--looks like a perfect ending to a great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sipping red wine while cooking...a great pairing!

      Delete
  5. These look so good, I love ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger really made this treat delicious! It was super easy to candy...this recipe took no time at all!

      Delete
  6. Yummy, especially with wine. I will have to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla. My husband gave it his seal of approval. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, my, that does look tasty! Thanks for sharing how to candy ginger and make this treat special, plus a great alternative to using sugar. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deonn...I'll definitely try other recipes with candied ginger. It kind of takes on a green colour so it's attractive too!

      Delete
  8. This looks delicious, and I like your pairing with wine. Thanks for sharing your technique for candied ginger. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The candied ginger was really tasty...definitely a treat all by itself!

      Delete
  9. I love chocolate and wine together. Your recipe looks totally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A must do for the next sew-in! ...well maybe not the wine or we'll never get anything done!

      Delete
  10. Oh man does this recipe look fabulous! Chocolate and nuts are my favorite! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda...all the recipes so far have been mouth-watering. Can't wait to see the recipes over the next couple of days!

      Delete
  11. Those sound really good. They look yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "mom". I'm happy they were photograph-worthy as well as tasty. Sometimes they don't turn out like the magazine photo. haha

      Delete
  12. I like your idea of pairing the chocolate with a glass of wine! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wine ... Chocolate ... Nuts - what's not to love. Great looking recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

      Delete
  14. Wine ... Chocolate ... Nuts - what's not to love. Great looking recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wine ... Chocolate ... Nuts - what's not to love. Great looking recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that looks yummy. Do you have an easy time finding organic, raw and natural foods? We live in a rural area, and there closest stores are about 40 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in a rural area but now live in a larger community so it's much easier. Can you stock up during a day trip to a larger center?

      Delete
  17. KAREN!!! Oh my, oh my! I just printed out the whole post! First of all, it LOOKS so good. Second, it pushes the healthy button! Chocolate, nice...ginger, awesome....cherries!!!...I am with you 100%...and then there is wine. I think I have used up my quota of exclamation marks on this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great recipe! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for visiting Corrie. Lots of wonderful recipes on this hop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This recipe sounds wonderful - I think I would be dropping my spoon in the mix several times! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a recipe my husband would love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband vouches for their yummi-ness...thanks for visiting Theresa.

      Delete
  22. Not sure which I "need" more, the chocolate or the wine! LOL Love the sound of this treat. Cherries and chocolate, mmmm, wonderful combination. Thanks for the link to the magazine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann...I hope the link worked for you. When I click on it, it just shows the picture I took of the treat. If you google clean eating magazine though, you shouldn't have any problem finding them. :)

      Delete